Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What you call true dedication

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member Craes's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2005
    Posts
    1,212
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    What you call true dedication

    PITTSBURGH - James Henry Smith was a zealous Pittsburgh Steelers fan in life, and even death could not keep him from his favorite spot: in a recliner, in front of a TV showing his beloved team in action.

    Smith, 55, of Pittsburgh, died of prostate cancer Thursday. Because his death wasn't unexpected, his family was able to plan for an unusual viewing Tuesday night.

    The Samuel E. Coston Funeral Home erected a small stage in a viewing room, and arranged furniture on it much as it was in Smith's home on game day Sundays.

    Smith's body was on the recliner, his feet crossed and a remote in his hand. He wore black and gold silk pajamas, slippers and a robe. A pack of cigarettes and a beer were at his side, while a high-definition TV played a continuous loop of Steelers highlights.

    "I couldn't stop crying after looking at the Steeler blanket in his lap," said his sister, MaryAnn Nails, 58. "He loved football and nobody did (anything) until the game went off. It was just like he was at home."

    Longtime friend Mary Jones called the viewing "a celebration."

    "I saw it and I couldn't even cry," she said. "People will see him the way he was."

    Smith's burial plans were more traditional "? he'll be laid to rest in a casket.
    I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    3,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What you call true dedication

    Wonder what a funeral like that would cost? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

  3. #3
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: What you call true dedication

    Beer ,cigs and football? His soul perhaps? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    3,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What you call true dedication

    Never can tell what is in a mans heart when he knows the end is coming.

  5. #5
    Guest 's Avatar

    Re: What you call true dedication

    Just so there is no misunderstanding, I was not trying to judge , it is just something I ask myself , "what would happen if you died RIGHT now...." It kinda puts thing in a different light sometimes.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Jason's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 12th, 2002
    Posts
    3,146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What you call true dedication

    I know what you mean. I'm glad God held off from taking me a couple of years ago. I know now where I am going and very thankful. [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

  7. #7
    Inactive Member imported_Sportsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 22nd, 2002
    Posts
    1,486
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What you call true dedication

    Champ20 beat you to this topic, he's already posted the article on the sports forum.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Craes's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 4th, 2005
    Posts
    1,212
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What you call true dedication

    My apologies for the redundancy, sportsman.
    I was married by a judge. I should have asked for a jury.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •